Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Yet another recipe. (We all have to eat, right?)

It's the recipe for the sweet pork at Cafe Rio. It takes 24 hours to cook (depending on your crock pot) and anything that takes that long is melt in your mouth delicious, right?

As I was following the directions I was wondering why it never gave instruction to shred the meat. Then I poked a wooden spoon on the top of the roast and it fell completely apart! This is some seriously tender pork!

Recipe shared with me by Jill Fillmoore. Thanks!

Cafe Rio Sweet Pulled Pork

3 1/2- 4 lbs pork roast
(for our dinner we used a 2 1/2 lb. pork tenderloin from Costco it was plenty)
2 Tbsp. brown sugar
1- 1 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
2 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. salt
1 (8 oz) can Coke
1 c. chicken stock
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 small onion, chopped
1 c. brown sugar

Night before:
Mix together 2 Tbsp. brown sugar, cayenne pepper, cumin, & salt. Rub this mixture on roast. Put in crock pot on low & cook all night. (Depending on your crock pot, you may want tot cook for 4 hrs. instead of 8, others may work better with the overnight rule.)

Next morning:
Add Coke, chicken stock, garlic & onion. Continue cooking all day on low. (Or just 4 more hours if your crock runs hotter than others. You can use a meat thermometer to be sure it is done.)

Hour before serving:
Add the last cup of brown sugar.

2 comments:

Lois said...

So, is the caffeine in Coke like alcohol in wine and it disappears when you cook it? In other words, can I only eat this for lunch or I'll be up all night?

Camille said...

Lois: Ha ha! I've not read anything about caffeine cooking off, but I have had this meat several times since making the huge recipe and I've never had trouble sleeping :) I'm sure you could use Caffeine free Coke if you're worried about sleepless nights or poor health choices.