Thursday, September 11, 2008

Do massages make anyone else's hands freezing cold for hours?


I just got back from Provo College and I feel like sharing. I was there helping a student with a midterm. (Lucky for me she is a massage therapy student.) I had to wait a bit for my massage and so I was staring at their mission statement on their wall for a good while. After all that staring the only part I remember is student-centered and market-driven.

I was really impressed by the words and then even more impressed with the people I watched there. I guess mostly because I watched teachers and administrators truly caring about their students' work and lives. It all seemed so sincere.

And then there was my masseuse. Not only did she give me a great long massage, but I feel like a better person emotionally and spiritually after our chat. This girl is only 18 years old and just found out that she is pregnant. Her boyfriend made her choose between him and the baby and she chose her baby! She said that she chose to keep the baby because she already feels like a mother and loves her baby too much. She talked about how she is grateful for her supportive family and the chance she has to be in school to be working towards a stable career.

I was totally inspired by her optimism and desire to do good. And that was just her story. Every one of those students has their own story! Thank you Provo College for enriching my life and the lives of all those students.

2 comments:

Camille said...

Whoa! That should have said boyfriend, not husband. Just made the change. Sorry about that...

Lois said...

Husband OR boyfriend, she sounds like she's better off without him.

Thanks for doing such a great job on the blog!