Friday, August 22, 2008

Book Review: First Meals by Annabel Karmel

I know that not everyone is trying to figure out how to feed a one-year-old who is finally weened, but I can't help but share this book. It has great basic nutrition information and made me think twice about not only the food I give to Nigel, but the food I eat myself.

There are lots of great natural and healthy recipes for kids from 6 moths to 7 years old, and I can't see any reason why my whole family can't eat these recipes. There definitely all healthy and they all sound so good!

Here is one of my favorite one-year-old recipes that I think Nigel will have to share with me.

Root Vegetable Chips
Preparation: 10 minutes; cooking: 15 minutes
Provides beta-carotene, fiber, potassium, and vitamin E

1 sweet potato, scrubbed
1 parsnip, peeled
2 carrots or 1 raw beet, peeled
spray oil
freshly ground sea salt

You can also use this recipe with sliced plantain.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Slice all the vegetables wafer-thin by hand or by using a slicing blade in a food processor. Spray some oil onto a couple of large baking sheets and brush to cover the surface. Heat the baking sheets for 5 minutes in the preheated oven.

Place the vegetables on the baking sheets in a single layer and lightly spray with oil. Cook in the oven for 10-12 minutes, turning half way through.

Transfer to paper towel, sprinkle with sea salt and serve cold.


No comments: