Thursday, April 2, 2009

Who knew?!


If you're like me you've been trying to figure out how to fit a cow on your shelf for food storage. I LOVE butter, ice cream, milk, sour cream, cheese, cream cheese, and anything else you can think of that comes from a cow.

One of my favorite ingredients really is butter, which is why I'm excited to share with you HOW TO CAN BUTTER. This came from a ward recipe book that Micah's mother, Olivia Anderson, gave me for my birthday about 5 years ago. I can't believe it took me this long to learn how to can my cow!

Here's how...

Use only the highest quality butter. Heat jelly jars in 250 degree oven for 20 minutes without rings or seals. While jars heat, melt butter slowly until it comes to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Pour melted butter carefully into heated jars being careful not to get any butter on rim of jars.

Add lid and rings and close securely, they will seal as they cool. Shake jars a few times during cooling to prevent separation although this step is optional. Put into refrigerator or other cool place until butter hardens. After hardening, butter will store on shelf for 3 years.

1 comment:

SHILLIG4FAMILY said...

amazing! and seems way better than the powdered butter I've heard of