Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Unsolved Mysteries: Baking Powder


I really like to cook & I LOVE to bake. So, when I read in the RS newsletter on Sunday that baking powder can't be stored for long periods of time (as in food storage years), I was intrigued. So, here's the scoop (of baking powder that is).

-Don't keep baking powder for more than one year, as it loses its potency. To check whether your baking powder is still usable, add 1 teaspoon of it to 1/3 cup of hot tap water. The mixture should bubble vigorously.

-Substitute 1 tsp of baking powder by mixing 1/4 tsp. baking soda with 1/2 tsp. cream of tartar. Who knew? Our wow super-d-dooper emergency preparedness committee--that's who!

-If you're interested in learning more about baking powder--click here & you'll know more than you probably need/want to!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wow! good to know!
I better get to baking things with baking powder haha